Friday, September 13, 2013

Bisbee Bound




                          

                         About a month ago work took me through Bisbee, Arizona.   I was in a rush to get back home, but managed to snap a few pictures before leaving the area.  What I did see of the town impressed me.  Making me wish to Explore again on a bigger scale.  I hear the town holds a 1000 stair climb in October, and hope I can check out the town much more.  It also sounds like a great way to wear out all of the kiddos at the same time.  Last week I snagged another job that started in Bisbee.  This job did not provide a ton of actual profit, after all of the driving, but did give me a chance to roam more around the city.  Before picking up the load -I had time to Explore the town and get some more pictures.  This mainly made me want to spend more time here, but here are some shots and thoughts on this day.  


       I am always a sucker for old buildings.  And plenty were around.  The old narrow streets were easy to navigate on foot.  Although the town is all on hills, so the photo shoot was a little tiring. 

The first trip took me very near Douglas and the boarder.  
After moving from very near the Canadian boarder, it is a huge change for us, 
but mostly a good change for sure. 
I did not venture to close to this old school house, because 
school was in session.  
And hanging around some buildings with a camera is not advised. 


                            Across from the old school was this lonely wind mill.  

I always enjoy a good cloud picture. 


Near the windmill is this old car bridge.  It is now abandoned. 
And I am not sure it could even be used by foot traffic anymore.  
But it is unique all the same. 


We than drove through the large traffic circle and ended up in old town, desperately low on gas. 
After directions not needed anymore, I noticed that the traffic circle was accented with large letters, that doubled as a compass. 

This part of town is beautifully restored.






                             This very old Greyhound bus sits in front of the restored station. 
I have rode many a bus in the past, and had before thought I was ridding on some old buses.  



Just past the old buildings is this huge pit.   
Many more surround the town.  But this is one of the largest open pits I have seen in a long time. 







                      This is a mining town for sure.   And the evidence is all around.          



                                  Catch a tour underground into this famous mine.  
A nice sized free visitor center surrounds the tour if you do not have the cash or desire to enter the mine.   And a large RV park sits close, if you want to Explore the town even longer.  




You can also travel the town by trolley.
Learning much more about the rich heritage.



Sit awhile and take in the great views.


                                        A large museum I still need to Explore. 




Old jail house turned motel.


Spray painted but great art can also be found through the entire  town.



Cool off with a local brew or three.







Court houses are always great buildings. 
This one was established in 1904







                                                 Recall Woolworth's?   They still had one in Wyoming 
                                         Were I grew up.  But it went under many years back.




                                                 Local artists bright view of the town.      



Here I am dreaming of coffee.
I did not have time to check out this great looking brew house or it's coffee.
If any of my readers have thoughts on the shop or the coffee
please let me know. 
I do love a great cup of the brew of the God's.


                                             

Next Exploring blog post
Part II of our adventures on the set.   
This part filmed at the great Arena Bar in Benson, Arizona.




As always

**Happy Trails!**

===================================


                                                          **Benson Area Residents--special low prices!**

                Do you have extra stuff you don't want and don't know what to do with it??
                                                             Give me a call I will haul.


                                                                 Text or call I do it all!
                                    Steven (520) 444-9556     pontos62or@yahoo.com
                                    a_sherbourne@yahoo.com

                         Your trash could be our treasure.


  • Yard clean up/Garbage removal

    • Garage-shop-attic-storage clean out
    • Furniture/appliance
    • Garage sell leftovers
    • Most hauling jobs
    • VERY reasonable rates----if you share our phone number. 

    Save your back-call us before you throw out any un-wanted items or if you need anything moved. 
    We donate our leftover stuff to charity!
    YOUR ad can be here!

    Large reader base---low monthly price!!

    2 comments:

    1. Nice piece Steve. I also have a blog about Flagstaff. Check out:
      http://flagstaffwinterwonderland.blogspot.com

      ReplyDelete
    2. I will deff. check it out, Steve. I lived in Flagstaff for a short while, and loved it! Many Sedona hikes and allll the Exploring in Flag! That whole area will be in my blogs at some point---but we have a family of 7, and I just had surgery so the Exploring has been cut down. Thanks for reading!

      ReplyDelete